BEST REVENGE call for artists and proposals
Throughout queer history and our current political landscape, there are many milestones to celebrate. Certainly, the Defense of Marriage Act and the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” are significant struggles fought with the intention of bringing equality to marginalized LGBTQ people. However, embedded within the concept of milestones is a traditional linear model of success that oftentimes alienates queers whose lives, identities and desires exist outside the dominate narrative of equality and progress.
Attempts to assimilate into this dominant society will continue to distract and dissuade the queer community from celebrating itself as a distinctly different, thriving micro-society with a network of values, relationships and political and social views. What must we surrender if we are expected to measure our achievements by how well we fit into a straight, capitalist, racist, colonialist, and classist society? How do we build a future based on self-determination and mutual aid? How do we create rituals to validate and celebrate our individual and collective accomplishments? How are we already engaged in these processes?
Best Revenge is a collection of queer events including a lecture series, visual art installations and public performances. To acknowledge the queer manifestation of home, Best Revenge will take place in the imperfect and loved environment of queer households and collectives in the Mission District. We are seeking proposals for lectures/skill-shares, performances, films, installations and queer spaces accessible to people of all mobilities.
DEADLINE: January 31st, 2012
Submission should include:
- A brief resume, bio, and artist statement
- A brief statement explaining how the proposed works address Best Revenge themes
- Contact info and website
- 5 Photographs (jpegs) of previous or available work. Include the following identifying information: title, date, medium, and dimensions
- When submitting a proposal which is an installation, site specific, new work created for this show or a performance please submit a detailed description and plan for your project – including any technical needs (electricity? Projection?)
- For workshops, skillshares, and discussions, include an outline and names/bios of other presenters/panelists, if any
email: bestrevenge2012 at gmail dot com
post: 2419 Folsom St, San Francisco CA 94110